benefit | they're Real! push-up liner | Review |

by - 9/12/2014


You-tube beauty gurus made me do it! There was so much hype and so many good reviews about Benefit's they're Real! push-up liner, that I had to try it out. Eyeliner is an essential part in my makeup routine, doesn't matter which look I do, 99% of the time I add eyeliner. Therefore i'm always looking for different types of eyeliners, whether it is an eyeliner with different formula or an eyeliner with a different technique.

Benefit recently came up with the "they're Real! push-up liner". I'm sure, if you're a makeup junkie like me you probably already heard of it. It is a gel eye liner in a pen form, so you get the best of both worlds. Usually gel liners come in a pot form with a brush but this one is in a pen form.


What it claims:

"Benefit They’re Real! Push-Up Liner is the first foolproof and budge-proof gel liner in a pen that lasts a full 24 hours. This eyeliner’s soft AccuFlex™ tip is custom-angled to draw an easy line. Its flat, wide guard gently pushes lashes aside to get close to lash line. A gorgeous way to open up eyes, this matte black gel formula won’t dry out, and its cutting-edge tip ensures a precise line every time. " via Sephora

Packaging:
It is said that, it took 4 years for benefit to come up with this product. The only thing which makes this product so different from any other is the packaging. We all know how perfect our eyeliners look when the formula is gel. So now we have that formula put into a pen form. You have to spin the bottom to get the product out, little goes a long way so make sure to not spin too much. The tip of this product is slanted as you can see on the pictures and this is what does the magic. The slanted tip helps you achieve the lash hugging liner and the perfect flick for your cat eye look. It is also very sleek and easy to carry around unlike other gel liners where you'll need a brush with the gel pot, a clean brush so it wont ruin your purse.

Formula:
It is a gel formula with a matte finish. Honestly speaking I found it a bit dry for my liking.

Color: 
This product only comes in one color which is black. The color pay of great. It has the perfect black.

Longevity:
This product stays true to it's description when it comes to longevity because it does last more than 12 hours. I haven't kept it on for 24 hours but i'm sure it will stay for a long time.

Application:
This where I was disappointed. This product is supposed the make life easier. It supposed to be fast and very easy to apply. I know that there is a technique to everything and this little product has it's own technique too. However, I found that learning that the technique was not only time consuming but frustrating as well. I been using this product for the past 2 months and i'm still frustrated every time because first, the product is way too dry, second the angled tip is wobbly. I know they made it wobbly so it will help with the curves but I find that it doesn't help at all.

Overall:
My thoughts on this product is, I think it was a good attempt definitely to mix the best of both worlds. I love the color pay off and the longevity, however, I'm disappointed with the formula as well as the angled tip. I know a lot of people have mastered the technique of using this product over time, but I feel a makeup product shouldn't be this stressful. It tugs the skin a lot and while i'm applying it I continuously have to clean the tip so it doesn't clump up. Life is already so difficult, your eye liner shouldn't be.

Price, Recommendation, & Re-purchase
It retails for $29, I know its Benefit so the price is going to be a little high but I think that's all that it is. I don't think it's worth it, unless you want to challenge yourself in mastering the technique of using this product. I also wouldn't re-purchase this again, I'm good with me old school pot and brush.

I'd love to here what you thought about this product if you have already tried it. Do you know any easy tips and tricks to apply it? Do you think the hype for this product was worth it? Comment below and let me know i'd love to hear what you guys think. 

post signature




Update May 2019: *Disclaimer - something happened to all my old blog posts that most of my pictures have been deleted, therefore the pictures used on this blog post are not my own.  Click the image for original source. For the sake of the posts I gathered the pictures from the internet since I no longer have these pictures (and products). I'm sorry if i'm referring to my old pictures and the review/post doesn't make sense. I'm sure you can find more info on the product/item on the website. If I'm using you're image and you'd like me to remove it, please let me know via email at lupabee@gmail.com . Thank you!

You May Also Like

0 comments

I would love your feedback!